1 (edited by pamk64 2018-05-29 00:34:22)

Topic: Please step up to save this great community.

Hi everyone,

Can someone please step up to be a maintainer and save this great community of artists, so they have a place to share their wonderful presets. 

I love the app and community everyone is so helpful and the artists are willing to make presets upon request.  I have had one made for me and it is great.

Thank you for reading this.

Pamk64

Re: Please step up to save this great community.

I second that motion

Just to clear things up, if SINE dies, the presets will be saved. Everything will end up on my site, along with a modified version of the app that can download presets from there. No community, no uploads, no dedicated website basically.

Right now I have a maintainer for the community but still no one who can actually keep the apps updated.

mis there anything I/we can do to help find someone who can do this?

Yay! we have a maintainer now all we need is someone to keep the app updated. Calling all app developers/programmers we need you to keep the Sine app updated.

Administrator wrote:

Just to clear things up, if SINE dies, the presets will be saved. Everything will end up on my site, along with a modified version of the app that can download presets from there. No community, no uploads, no dedicated website basically.

Right now I have a maintainer for the community but still no one who can actually keep the apps updated.

praying

I am not an Android developer though I got some some apps developed a few years ago. How much programming effort does it take to maintain the app? Is it as simple as uploading/replacing a preset file? Or is the app replaced with a new version each time a preset is added/modified/deleted?

I have offered to help with my limited skills (I can't make a preset and I can't do android programming).

A suggestion I made long back may also be worth considering : Most presets published here don't contain elaborate text describing the intended benefits. This leaves the populace in dark or gray. So the usability of the preset reduces. So less users and you know what comes next.

All the best. Sine needs to live forever. And I am here to help with my limited abilities.

The first thing I'd need is to update the android app so that it uses the newest APIs. There's been some reports of issues with power saving and android 8 ignoring wakelocks. I looked into it and I was never able to fix it (or reproduce it on my device).
Once that's done, I want to unify the PC version and the webapp, a full rewrite using Electron (the android version will keep using java, but it will be updated so that it has the same sound as the PC version). This is especially important for mac users, since there's been reports of the mac version not working properly on newer versions of macos. Apple has always done its best to make cross platform development as shitty as possible, and frankly I just gave up: if someone can fix it, good, otherwise macos can go fuck itself.
Finally, the SINE preset format itself should be improved: it needs better preset descriptions as mthakurr said, support for different types of noise, and maybe more.
Right now SINE just doesn't have enough users compared to some of my other projects to justify the enormous effort of basically redoing the whole project using more modern technologies. If someone wants to do it, I will be 100% available to them and help them do it. The project is fully open source so anyone can try.

9 (edited by otherdair 2018-08-07 07:17:26)

So someone who is good with Android including its latest versions is what is being sought or we get a lot or we try to get a lot more people interested SINE enough so to justify the work you would need to put in?
My question maybe offencive but I don't mean it to be offencive I'm just curious and am going to some other forums to see if I can find some help from people there to help here.

The android version needs an update to make sure that everything works and looks pretty on newer versions of the OS (this will probably require some wakelock magic when increasing the API level to 26 or newer). Right now it works though.
The macos version desperately needs an update because it barely works.

Feel free to ask around if you want, no offense taken.

I'm not the best at coding, however anything I can contribute for software which is covered under the GNU GPL License is worthy of my time.    I totally dig the simplicity of the interface and the platforms I am running it under:
A LG-70 Droid phone with KitKit
and a notebook r unning Trisquel GNU/Linux 8.0 Lite Edition.

thank you,  I hope this works out.

13 (edited by otherdair 2018-09-11 06:18:56)

Thank you atropine!
Perhaps you can contact the devs and see and see if you are what they're looking for and that this app needs.
I'm also very happy to see in your introduction that this little app has helped you I know it has certainly helped me and a few others some who talk about it and some who don't.
It is my hope that you will find this app to be worthy of your time as well as continue to be helping you out while you help others truly a reward in itself.

Atropine please contact me if you want to give it a try. info@fdossena.com

Administrator wrote:

Atropine please contact me if you want to give it a try. info@fdossena.com

SENT.

fingers crossed

I found someone who's willing to try to fix the macos version.

Okay so does this mean that if all goes well SINE will be on the in the Apple Store to?
Does this also mean that a maintainer has been found and SINE lives on?

No, I won't put it on the apple store, they'd probably reject it because it uses java.
If the new guy can get the macos version up and running again, I'd say SINE is still alive. The android version still needs an update though, if I can't find someone to do it, I guess I'll do it myself.

Hey there fellas, I'm a freelancer software engineer that has been using this piece of heaven for about a year and all I can say is THANK YOU, the work you guys put in this is wonderful.
This may seem weird but reading this makes me happy, I'm a strong believer in the union of the self, and everything related to vibration and quantum mechanics, and, reading this post, has given me a spark of light on what to do next.
I currently have a job-project ongoing, which I probably will be free from in a week or two, after that I would be very, very glad to help on anything you guys might need, being that porting the whole app to Electron, actually, I can see a lot of frameworks on the horizon(looks at flutter)
Anyways, I love Python and Node but I can work with pretty much anything you put in my hands.
I would love to hear from you guys, hope I'm not too late, please give me the fastest means of contact so we can get in touch.

Thanks for your offer, I sent you an email smile

Danzera, that's great to hear, I was afraid there was nobody with the skills and time willing to maintain this great app.

I hope besides maintaining and porting to see the app see more functionality, it would be really nice if it had panning functionality (like one track 20% to the right and the other 80% to the left ear), that and some of my presets go beyond what is possible in the editor (higher and lower frequencies) I hope those will still work (I used an xml editor to do that, they can be opened and used in the app but not in the editor). Another thing that has been on my mind is, the list of presets is currently really long, categories/tags would really clean things up, especially since it's an ever growing list.

Hi
We're currently working on the macOS app, and an update will be released soon

Thanks

Version 1.8.7 is out now.
No major changes really, just some needed maintenance:
* Macos version works again: thanks to our new member and friend ahabhyde, who is also a java developer but has experience with macOS, the SINE app now works on newer versions of macOS (we tested mostly on mojave, since it's the latest one). Any subsequent update on this front will be done by ahabhyde, not me.
* The computer can no longer go to sleep while the player app is running (on all platforms)
* Minor changes

An update for the Android app is also coming, so hold tight.

Once this necessary maintenance is done, we can think about new features, and maybe unifying the codebase.

Android version 1.7.1 is rolling out right now.
* SINE now works properly with newer versions of Android
* New icon
* Some minor changes

I'm also working on an f-droid version of the project, for those who value their freedom more than convenience.

26 (edited by pamk64 2018-10-16 10:50:21)

Yay!  Thank you everyone for stepping up to save this wonderful app and updating it.  Good to hear there is an Apple version.  Most of the people I tell about the app have Apple products.

Greatly appreciated.

Pam (op)