Topic: New User

Hi there everybody, I am a new user of the sine isochronic software. I came across this application while searching for  software to create isochronic tones.  At first, it seemed that this was just the thing I was looking for. But then, I looked at the audio waveform on an oscilloscope, and apparently the tones that are made are not isochronic, but monaural (an amplitude modulated sinewave).  A true isochronic tone would be a pulsed or gated sine or square wave  While monaural tones are used and are effective for some people, they are considered  to be not as effective as true isochronics, or even binaural tones. I would appreciate if you would comment on this.

Re: New User

You are partially correct: the pulses are not made out of single "shots" of sine/square waves, but modulated with a smooth pulse function. If you want the details, you can look up the class SmoothPulseGenerator in the source code, it's basically a modified Gaussian function.
What it generates is a smooth pulse that ramps up quickly, decreases more slowly, followed by some almost silence (10% amplitude).
The output of this function is used to multiply the carrier sine wave.

It would have been monaural if I just multiplied the carrier by another sine wave.

Thank you for your  explanation of the workings of your software. I have been studying binaural isochronic and monaural beat  stimulation technologies for a long time now; before pcs had the  sound hardware  and audio editing tools to create these effects.  I even designed and built a hardware binaural beat generator, more than twenty years ago, that enabled me to experiment with binaurals, and convinced me that the effects of these stimuli are more than just placebo, which is the current view of the  scientific community.
  Your concept of a shaped modulating pulse is new to me, because all the literature I have read seems to conclude that the effectiveness of isochronic pulses is due to the sharp attack and decay period of the pulse. There are even some purists who insist on square waves as the carrier, even though personally square wave isochronics sound like a door bell or an alarm, and I have never liked them. Sine wave pulses sound much better, and are more pleasing to the ear. I once drew up a schematic for a hardware isocronic sine wave generator, which would have used pulses generated by a 555 timer, and a single transistor gated sine wave oscillator, but then I realized that such a project would be very old school, and it would be much better to to do it in software.
  I am not a programmer, so I have not been able to create such an application myself. But I am glad that I have found such an application; sine isochronic not only will allow me to get back into experimentation with isochronic tones, but also will teach me a lot of new things.Again, thank you for making your work free and open source, and replying so promptly to my queries.

I used that type of pulses because they were more pleasing to the ear in my opinion.
Before the initial release of SINE, I experimented several combinations and found this shape to be the most pleasing, especially in the range of 4-20 Hz which are the most used.
Anyway, it's cool that you tried to make a hardware generator. I tried making the opposite thing: a simple EEG device that you could plug into your sound card, and then software reads your brainwaves to generate a SINE preset. I still have the software (never released) but the device I built was terrible and too sensitive to electromagnetic interference.

Admin: I am extremely interested in your experiment using your own brain waves. What were some issues that arose? Interference you said?

Yes, the main problem was that it was picking up a lot of electromagnetic interference.
Even with wifi and cell phones turned off, the computer itself seemed to emit enough interference to make everything garbage.

I should point out that I'm not an expert in electronics, so when I failed I didn't spend any more time or money on that device.
If you want to help, I can tell you what kind of signals the device is supposed to send to the computer and maybe you can build something better.